Excited about the prospect of native plant gardening, but not sure where to start? Feeling overwhelmed as exactly how to create such a garden? Fear not! There are online resources to tap into, and, if you need more help, several local landscape designers that specialize in native plant landscapes.
Online native plant design resources
- The CNPS Gardening Program has an expanding number of California Native Plant Sample Garden Plans.
- The UC Davis Arboretum website includes a small, sample beginners California Native Garden.
- MyNativePlants.com is a fine place to start browsing to get ideas and information about native plants that will work well in various areas of your garden, as well as the birds and butterflies that you probably want to invite to your property.
- You might want to take a look at the resources on our Attracting Wildlife page as well.
Local native plant designers
- Rosemary Carey
Botanist/horticulturist Rosemary Carey designs water-wise and deer-resistant gardens using California native plants and compatible plants from other Mediterranean climate regions. Specialties: difficult sites (e.g., west and south-facing sites, shallow soils), erosion control, and plants to attract birds and pollinators. Named a Sacramento Regional Water Authority Blue Thumb Ambassador in recognition of her low-water use garden design work in Eldorado County with the Sierra Nevada Alliance Yard and Garden Program in 2009-2011. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: 530-620-3631.
- Mahala Guggino – FLOURISH
Flourish strives to bring a natural, sustainable aesthetic to your landscape through our boutique plant nursery and consultation services. Flourish grows and curates a wide variety of California native plants and other interesting, complementary ornamentals. Website: www.flourishontheweb.com; email: email@example.com; phone: 530-919-1478.
- Christie Johnson, Owner/Certified Landscape Designer – MILKWEED GARDEN DESIGNS
A residential landscape design service dedicated to the unique sense of place that is California, making gardens come to life with native and low water use plants. Serving Amador County and surrounding communities.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: 209-304-1771.
- Marcia Scott – Creating thoughtful garden solutions for the unique challenges on the western slope of the Sierra Nevada. Residential landscape design, landscape and tree consultations, garden coaching, and young tree pruning. Focus is on how to make your landscape satisfy you, while being good stewards. Blueprints, Sketches and Consultations. ISA certified, TRAQ Arborist.” www.mjsland.com 530 642-0973 email@example.com
- Verne Pershing – THE ART OF GARDENING
We create quality, handcrafted gardens; Listening to, and working in conjunction with the homeowner’s wishes, we seek to create a singular vision for the site that embraces nature’s unspoiled model, blending as closely as possible the landscape plan with the countenance of the area as well as the architecture of the home. Website: www.cowboygardener.com; phone: 530-644-2000.